Best Conditions for Flies in Vials

Mark Thorson eee at netcom.com
Wed Feb 19 11:36:52 EST 1997

I just received two vials of flies from Carolina, and I'm
wondering what the best way is to handle them.

I don't see any larvae in the vials, so I assume they just
put some adults in a fresh vial of culture medium and shipped
it.  So, I shouldn't expect to see larvae for several days.

The adults climb up to the top of the vial, away from the
medium.  Should I stand the vial on-end, which encourages
the flies to stay away from the medium?  Or, should I lay
the vial on its side?

Do the flies care about photoperiod?  I was keeping the vials
in a cupboard, but then it occurred to me it's dark in there,
and I moved them to a place of subdued sunlight where they
won't get too warm.

Carolina sent the flies first, so the rest of my order is
yet to arrive, along with their booklet on raising flies.
So, I'm sort of flying blind right now.