Culture medium

bubbag at blomand.net bubbag at blomand.net
Thu Feb 27 13:50:40 EST 1997

I have been trying to develop a new culture medium for drosophila
melanogaster. The best thing so far is a mixture of dried, crushed
bread and sugar. I add enough yeast and water later to make it into
food for the flies.

Do you have any suggestions for any mediums that I can make that do
not cost much, and can be stored a long time?

Thanks,

William Gant

P.S. I am using the flies as fish food in my aquariums. I'm sure glad
genetics has allowed them to be wingless. Keep up the good work. Now,
if you could only come up with a strain that will live on old, moldy
medium...