pUChsneo

Tamas, Lukacsovich lukacs at fly.erato.jst-c.go.jp
Tue Jan 21 06:04:52 EST 1997

Dear Drosophilists,

I downloaded the sequence of pUChsneo (it's synonym name is pP{hsneo})
vector from FlyBase about half a year ago. I was surprised to learn that
this vector contains a heat shock promoter driven bacterial ribosomal RNA
gene to confer neomycin resistance. (at least the given sequence for
neomycin resistance gene showed 100% homology with a piece of E. coli 16S
ribosomal RNA gene.)
It was even a bigger surprise when I checked the updated vector sequence in
Flybase a week ago and found it having changed. Now it contains the
neomycin phosphotransferase gene instead (and in fact this is really the
case as I checked by sequencing). The other part of the vector remained
unchanged.
I would like to know whether this confusion came from a simple submission
error or that former version of the vector is really existing and available
?
(I am not simply curious but rather particularly interested in special
cases of RNA mediated regulatory processes.)
Thanks in advance,

Tamas Lukacsovich.