Male and female symbols

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Wed Jan 29 10:55:10 EST 1997

I pulled these answers out of the bionet.drosophila news archive
on flybase (searched on 'male symbol font') -- don

----

From: mg16 at ellis.uchicago.edu (Mark D. Garfinkel)
Subject: Re: Font w/Male-Female symbols?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 13:09:16 GMT

Apple provided a bitmapped font called "Mobile" which contained
male and female symbols as option-1 and option-2 characters. It
was a simple matter to use ResEdit to modify option-3 into a
virgin-female symbol. I've done so for personal use, and I call
the font "Mobile Genetics", obviously.

Offhand I don't know if Apple still includes "Mobile" with
the System 7.x discs for new-generation Macintoshes. Getting ahold
of "Mobile" from someone with System 6.x is a good idea, since
the old bitmapped font does work with System 7.x. "Mobile" prints
a bit raggedly on LaserWriters.

Mark

----