Infra Red light

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Tue Mar 4 07:44:21 EST 1997

Dear Fly Watchers,

I consider now to purchase a Infra Red Camera for dark recording of flies.
I am concerned about the heating effect of the necessary IR light source.
Seems I have two alternatives for light sources: 1. IR light
bulb/reflector(?); 2.  Red Light Emitting Diode (LED). I am eager to have
opinions of experienced users -- and thinkers :-) -- about the heating
effects and possible range of light amplitude to choose.

Thanks.

Zoltan
--------
I have seen decent real-time images on cheap black and white
IR sensitive video cameras, using only a few IR LED's as a light
source.  LED's hardly heat things up at all.  For example, I'll
bet you can get lots of light out of 5 LED's with a total of 100mW
input power, and 100mW of heat (the maximum you could get out)
is negligable.  Why not get the camera, and play around with
different light sources?

Andy Papp
TRITECH_RESEARCH at LAMG.COM