ts embryo extracts

Richard S. Jones rjones at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Thu Mar 13 13:33:57 EST 1997

We are planning on making embryo extracts from temperature-sensitive mutant
stocks for the purpose of examining the effects of different ts alleles on
protein-protein interactions (per co-immunoprecipitation).  Has anyone out there
made ts allele embryo extracts, or know of helpful references?  Our primary
questions concern temperatures at which the extracts should be prepared and
temperatures at which to do the IPs.  In order to minimize protein degradation,
we normally try to keep everything at 4 to 0 degrees C during extract
preparation and subsequent IP steps.  However, we are concerned that such low
temperature incubations might permit refolding of mutant proteins and
restoration of some interactions that are normally disrupted at restrictive
temperature.  Is this a real problem or are we just being paranoid?  Any
suggestions, protocols, or references would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rick Jones
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Fondren Science Building