food pump suggestions

Paul Kaytes pkaytes at
Wed Mar 26 17:04:30 EST 1997

ON 26 Mar 1997 12:48:24 -0800, Dushay.1 at ND.EDU (Mitch Dushay) WROTE:

>The old Brewer automoatic pipetting machine here in the fly food kitchen
>at Notre Dame keeps breaking down and doesn't work that well anyway.  Does
>anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?  I would welcome any
>recommendations, positive or negative from experienced labs.
>Many thanks,
>Mitch Dushay

A looooong time ago, when I was running the fly kitchen at Brandeis,
we used a pressure cooker.  It was tapped at the top to accept the
house air (not vacuum), and tapped at the bottom to accept a hose with
a pinch clamp.  A little skill with the pinch clamp, and a cooker full
could be dispensed rather rapidly, bottles or vials.  Be careful,
though, that the dispensing hose is on tightly with a hose clamp.  If
it comes off, it's very messy and dangerous (hot fly food everywhere).

Take care,

    Paul Kaytes                           pkaytes at
                  Molecular Biology, Stage Management
         Not necessarily in that order (especially these days)

  my reply address has been anti-spammed.  To reply, delete "nospam."