food pump suggestions

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Thu Mar 27 11:04:37 EST 1997

>    Paul Kaytes                           pkaytes at worldnet.att.net wrote:
>
>A looooong time ago, when I was running the fly kitchen at Brandeis,
>we used a pressure cooker.  It was tapped at the top to accept the
>house air (not vacuum), and tapped at the bottom to accept a hose with
>a pinch clamp.  A little skill with the pinch clamp, and a cooker full
>could be dispensed rather rapidly, bottles or vials.  Be careful,
>though, that the dispensing hose is on tightly with a hose clamp.  If
>it comes off, it's very messy and dangerous (hot fly food everywhere).
>
>Take care,
>Paul
>
>-------------------------------------
>If several labs were really interested, we could make a batch
>of these.  As an improvement, we could use a foot-pedal-operated
>electonic hose pinching clamp, and even a timing circuit, for
>repeatable volumes.  It would be sort of a combination of our
>microINJECTOR system, and our PourBoy II sterile media
>dispenser, but for "macro-injecting" fly food into bottles.
>I would estimate they would cost between $550 and $850,
>depending on the quantity we could produce and the exact size
>of the pressure cooker we would need to base it on.  Anyone interested
>or with comments, please send me e-mail.
>
>Sincerely,
>Andrew Papp
>tritech_research at LAMG.COM

During my graduate school days at the University of Rochester, I used an
old fly food pump that had been hand-made a very long time before at
Princeton (in the 1930's, I think) and brought to UR. It worked better than
any device I have seen since. It was powered by a large electric motor and
a fan belt that operated a piston (solid brass piston inside a stainless
steel cylinder) that dispensed food through a hose and nozzle from a medium
sized stainless steel funnel into which the food was poured. The flow was
gravity driven and food volume could controlled by adjusting the pump
stroke. All parts were easily disassembled for cleaning and autoclaving.  I
still regret not boxing it up when I moved. I'd be very interested in
purchasing something like it.

Bill

William J. Etges
Department of Biological Sciences