food pump suggestions

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Fri Mar 28 06:32:56 EST 1997

During my graduate school days at the University of Rochester, I used an
old fly food pump that had been hand-made a very long time before at
Princeton (in the 1930's, I think) and brought to UR. It worked better than
any device I have seen since. It was powered by a large electric motor and
a fan belt that operated a piston (solid brass piston inside a stainless
steel cylinder) that dispensed food through a hose and nozzle from a medium
sized stainless steel funnel into which the food was poured. The flow was
gravity driven and food volume could controlled by adjusting the pump
stroke. All parts were easily disassembled for cleaning and autoclaving.  I
still regret not boxing it up when I moved. I'd be very interested in
purchasing something like it.

Bill
William J. Etges
Department of Biological Sciences
SCEN 629
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA
wetges at comp.uark.edu
http://comp.uark.edu/~wetges/wetges.html
voice: (501) 575-6358
 FAX   (501) 575-4010
------------------
Dear Bill,
That sounds like an interesting system, too, although it
sounds more complicated and costly to make.  Did the food
load from the funnel and unload from the tube due to
check valves, or did it work like a bolt action rifle where
the food falls into a slot in the cylinder, which gets blocked
off as the piston pushes it out the end of the cylinder?

Andrew Papp
PS: I was an undergrad at UR from 79-83.
PPS: The reason I replied by posting and not just by
e-mail is to give the religious zealots some competition : )