Nutritional needs of D. melanogaster

Steve Segal gcsegal at erols.com
Tue Nov 18 18:44:05 EST 1997

I am a high school student conducting research on the effects of
antioxidants on fruit flies, specifically Drosophilia melanogaster.  I
will be adding Vitamin E to the food formula in controlled amounts.
	The problem is, I don't exactly know what the nutritional needs of a
fruit fly are.  I don't know what is in the standard growth formula, and
I don't know exactly how I should be adding in the Vitamin E so that the
flies ingest it.  I also don't really know what might be a good amount
of E to give to the flies.  Any help on these topics would be greatly
appreciated.
					-Stephen Segal