grad. student positions available

Jim Fry jdfry at BIOSERVER.VSB.USU.EDU
Wed Nov 19 21:38:32 EST 1997

Graduate Studies in Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics of Drosophila

Positions are available in my laboratory for MS and PhD students interested
in evolutionary quantitative genetics, ecological genetics, or related
subjects.

Currently, in NSF-funded work, we are measuring rates and properties of
spontaneous mutations affecting fitness traits in Drosophila melanogaster,
and mapping genetic factors causing genotype-environment interaction for
fitness in Drosophila populations.  The goal is to understand the forces
maintaining genetic variation for fitness traits in this species.  Students
could work on an aspect of one of these projects, or develop a different
project on Drosophila or another organism.  Students interested in the
evolutionary genetics of host use in phytophagous insects, or the genetic
management of small populations, are encouraged to apply.

RA and TA support is available, for a minimum of four years for a qualified
Ph.D. student.

Utah State University is a Carnegie Research I institution.  The Biology
Department has over 45 faculty members, with diverse interests ranging from
animal behavior to molecular biology.

More information on Utah State University, the Biology Department, and my
research program can be found by visiting the Biology Department web site
at http://www.biology.usu.edu/ , or by contacting me at the address below.

James D. Fry
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology