Postdoctoral position in France

Serge Birman birman at lnf.cnrs-mrs.fr.
Thu Nov 20 11:59:27 EST 1997

POSITION AVAILABLE IN MARSEILLE, FRANCE

A one year position is available immediately to work on a Drosophila
project. Start date is march 1998 and is negotiable. The salary is
15,000 French francs per month, which is about 30,000 US dollars per
year.

Our research interest is to use Drosophila genetics and molecular
biology to study the mechanisms that regulate the expression and
function of neurotransmitters in the nervous system. We are focusing on
two transmitters: dopamine and glutamate, which are involved both in
vertebrates and in invertebrates in a vast array of nervous functions,
from the control of locomotion to learning and memory. These
transmitters are also implicated in several neurodegenerative diseases
in humans. We are studying late neuron differentiation and the genetic
regulation of transmitter-synthesizing enzymes. We also screen for new
marker genes for dopamine and glutamate neurons in the brain.

Our group has been formed one and a half year ago and is now composed
of five people. Scientific environment is optimal both for Drosophila
(close proximity of the IBDM, Developmental Biology Institute of
Marseille-Luminy) and for nervous system research (we are member of the
Brain Science Institute of the CNRS
<http://biblio.cnrs-mrs.fr/ifrcerveau/>). In addition, the South of
France and Mediterranean sea is a very nice area for week-ends.

Position is open to postdocs or visiting scientists. The candidate
should have a good background in genetics and molecular biology.
Experience with Drosophila is a plus. Further funding from other
sources could be raised if the candidate is interested to stay longer.

For additional information, please contact Serge Birman by e-mail or
fax. Please note that I only have a few weeks from now to select a
candidate. Thank you.

Dr. Serge Birman
Cellular and Functional Neurobiology Laboratory
CNRS - Institute of Brain Science
31, chemin Joseph-Aiguier
F-13402 Marseille Cedex 9, FRANCE
phone: +33 491 16 43 11