static static

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter drjones at usit.net
Wed Oct 8 20:00:18 EST 1997

Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about minimizing static
electricity when working with flies? I'm using plastic vials and both
cotton and foam plugs (the latter being noticably worse for static) and a
typical CO2 pad surfaced with porous plastic. My problem, recognizable to
most everyone reading this, I suspect, is that static will sporadically
fling anesthetized flies to the four corners of the pad and beyond, and
it's driving me nuts. Any advice on how to defeat (or at least circumvent)
Mother Nature in this struggle?