static static

B. Iyengar iyengabg at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA
Thu Oct 9 10:10:59 EST 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about minimizing static
> electricity when working with flies? I'm using plastic vials and both
> cotton and foam plugs (the latter being noticably worse for static) and a
> typical CO2 pad surfaced with porous plastic. My problem, recognizable to

Hello!
	Sending the CO2 thru a flask with diluted detergent (I think it is
anionic detergent) helps for me. Also when the vials are plastic I give
the mouth of the vial a rub by holding it in the cup of my palm before
pushing the flies into the vial this does it too! Good luck!:-)
Bala
    _~Q|Q~_
   // /@\ \\