Invaded by fruit flies

Brian Ring bring at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Sep 4 16:59:29 EST 1997

John,
	Sure, just apply a few "fly traps" about the bar...a fly trap
could be an empty beer bottle with the following inside it:

	- an old banana peel
	- some bakers yeast
	- unsulfured molasses, (i.e. Grandma's Molasses, the brand name)
	- a few drops of corn meal
	- plus a bit of water to give the mixture some moisture
Then, place a funnel on the top of the bottle with the smallest opening
into the bottle...If these traps are placed low and hight behind the bar
and near the trashcan, they will fill up with flies within a few
hours...as long as the flies can't get out you'll trap them all...don't
let the traps get to crowded or to old because you will start to go
through new generations of flies...Be aware of the ebony or black flies,
they are probably virilis and will take a while to get rid of!!

	Well good luck John and remember I am a starving graduate student
in need of a case of SAm Adams beer....we have a lot of hard working
Drosophilist in the lab as well who would appreciate the gesture...

Brian Ring @ the bio zoo
address:
Dept.of Biology
Bio Unit 1