keeping humidifier tanks free of mould

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Thu Sep 4 07:00:49 EST 1997

Emma Rushton,rushton at biology.utah.edu,Internet writes:
Does anyone know if it would be OK to put copper sulphate or potassium
permanganate in the tanks?  The way the humidifier works is that there is a
reservoir of water, filled from the mains, which is heated by an electric
element to produce steam.  I am afraid that the salts might be just
volatile enough to enter the air in the chamber and perhaps be toxic to the
flies.  Has anyone tried it?  Or have any information?  Does it even work?
Any other suggestions?

thanks for any help, Emma
--------
I haven't actually done this, but at least for copper sulfate, it should not
be
volatile at all.  The way it is purified is in big evaporation pits.  whether
of not
the chemicals will mess up or corrode your humidifier is another question...
Andy Papp
tritech_research at LAMG.COM