Getting rid of fruit flies-Help!!!

Marc Champagne M.Champagne at cellbio.duke.edu
Fri Sep 19 11:26:17 EST 1997

In article <341F29F0.64F9D058 at together.net>, chrisnic at together.net wrote:

> A bag of apples went a bit ripe in my pantry. Since then I have been
> infested with these pesty little flies throughout my house. How do I get
> rid of them? During dinner tonight I had a few floating in my wine. Is
> there something that I can use to attract them and then bring them
> outside? Thank you!! Chris

Chris

Find a grad student who works in a fly lab.  If he's been there for more
than 3 years, invite him over for dinner (they're always starving) and
he'll be happy
to kill them ALL with his bare hands!

Seriously:

Make a trap...

1-Fill the bottom of a glass or cup with some apple/grape juice (or better,
wine or beer).
2-Use a piece of paper (index card) and make a funnel with it, leaving only
a tiny hole for the flies to get in (little more than a pin head size).
3-Apply generous amounts of Scotch tape to seal any openings.

Voila!  The flies will be attracted by the juice, walk right through that
funnel and will get stuck in.  Every now and then just tap the cup down
to get the fly to fall in the juice, and don't worry about them drowning.
Survival of the cruellest!

Pls remove -nospam- from my address if you reply by e-mail

Mon pays ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver (Vigneault).