[bio.dros] Re: Need for Drosophila mailing list?

ITO, Kei itokei at fly.erato.jst.go.jp
Wed Apr 15 20:42:52 EST 1998

>Messages posted to this newsgroup are piped to the dros at net.bio.net
>mailing list and vice versa.  So there is a list, but the discussion
>doesn't go beyond what you see here.
>
>-Adam

To encourage more professional discussion, we need to reduce
the amount of messages unrelated to Drosophila research.
One possibility would be to kill the newsgroup. Being open to
billions of Internet users, newsgroup attracts naive questions
by high school pupils and discussions on god, sex, etc., which are
cross-posted from other newsgroups. Since a mailing list is
more closed than a newsgroup, as one must register in order to
get messages, it can focus more on professional discussion.
We cannot get rid of those spam mails altogether, but we can
at least reduce their number. Whereas biologists have been using
bionet newsgroups for discussion, physicists and astronomers
don't rely on newsgroups but have been using mailing lists for
the same purpose. The existing dros at net.bio.net mailing list
would be enough for most fly researchers.

Kei

  ERATO, at Mitsubishi-Kasei Institute of Life Sciences,
  email : itokei at fly.erato.jst.go.jp
  http://flybrain.jst.go.jp/jfly/    (Jfly home page)
  http://flybrain.jst.go.jp/    (Flybrain visual database)