Wind blisters on CyO.

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4drjones at usit.net
Wed Apr 29 00:32:52 EST 1998

Narmada:

> I use the Cyo balancer for my experiments and have noticed that a fair
> population shows deffects in the wings eg. blisters, crumpled wings etc.

I have seen this phenotype, but not in conjunction with CyO. Have you
outcrossed your stock so that it is otherwise wild-type to see if this is
the result of some other mutation in your stock?

> As I need to look at the wing-deffects created by my mutation, it
> becomes difficult to screen for the phenotype. Has anybody noticed such
> a deffect in CyO flies? Is there any conditions under which the deffect
> is reduced? Is there any other balancer which does not carry the Cy
> marker and balances the second chromosome well?

I often notice that Cy-winged flies disproportionately end up with
messed-up wings, generally from falling in the food, so I would try to
avoid using it if I were looking at a wing phenotype, as you are.

Look in FlyBase or in Lindsley & Zimm for other SM chromosomes; there are
some that still carry Cy, but aren't CyO. Another possibility that comes
to mind is In(2LR)Gla, but I think it's not known how well that balances
across the entire 2nd. Of course, it, or any of the other candidates,
might be fine for your purposes.

Good luck,

--
To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!