Wind blisters on CyO.

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4drjones at
Wed Apr 29 00:32:52 EST 1998

> I use the Cyo balancer for my experiments and have noticed that a fair
> population shows deffects in the wings eg. blisters, crumpled wings etc.

I have seen this phenotype, but not in conjunction with CyO. Have you
outcrossed your stock so that it is otherwise wild-type to see if this is
the result of some other mutation in your stock?

> As I need to look at the wing-deffects created by my mutation, it
> becomes difficult to screen for the phenotype. Has anybody noticed such
> a deffect in CyO flies? Is there any conditions under which the deffect
> is reduced? Is there any other balancer which does not carry the Cy
> marker and balances the second chromosome well?

I often notice that Cy-winged flies disproportionately end up with
messed-up wings, generally from falling in the food, so I would try to
avoid using it if I were looking at a wing phenotype, as you are.

Look in FlyBase or in Lindsley & Zimm for other SM chromosomes; there are
some that still carry Cy, but aren't CyO. Another possibility that comes
to mind is In(2LR)Gla, but I think it's not known how well that balances
across the entire 2nd. Of course, it, or any of the other candidates,
might be fine for your purposes.

Good luck,

To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!