How Do They Keep The Strain So Pure?

Mark Thorson eee at netcom.com
Tue Apr 28 19:05:12 EST 1998

I've been keeping vestigal-wing _D._ for several months now,
must be around 15 or 20 generations, starting with cultures from
CBS.  A few generations in, I noticed one fly that flew out
from a culture vessel, and currently all my vessels are
contaminated with fliers.

I'm wondering how CBS keeps the problem in check?  Do they
screen for vestigial mutant at each generation?  I'm considering
dumping all my cultures and starting over, but would the
problem re-occur if I'm running open-loop (i.e. no screening)?

For anyone who remembers my earlier post on the subject,
my culture vessels are an outstanding success:  cheap,
easy to make, easy to use, and very productive.  My attempts
at engineering a new culture medium have been barely
workable, the biggest problem being mold.  Sometimes I lose
a whole batch to mold.  I may go back to 4-24.  Does anyone
offer a cheap substitute?  If so, contact information please.