fruitflies

Adam Noel Harris adhar at stanford.edu.XX
Tue Aug 25 17:52:46 EST 1998

LPeacockBr at AOL.COM <LPeacockBr at AOL.COM> wrote:
:Please advise me on how to rid my home of fruitflies!!! I have a terrible
:problem and it is out of control. I have used Lysol to kill them, but each
:morning I have many more. I am desperate for any help.

The most important thing to do is to get rid of the food they are growing
in.  You'll have to scout around for food they may have gotten into,
especially rotting fruit.  Throw out all rotting food or food with pupal
cases (look like small, brown rice grains) around it.  I'd keep fruit out
of the house altogether until they were gone, unless you can refrigerate
it.

Once you get rid of their food source, they won't be able to replenish
their numbers.  Now it's just a matter of waiting for the adults to die.
To help them along, you can make traps by putting wine vinegar in a glass
and placing a funnel on top.  They enter the glass through the funnel but
have a hard time getting back out.  Consequently, many will drown in the
vinegar.

Until you get rid of whatever it is they're eating, there'll be more than
you can handle!

-Adam
--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Stanford University.
PGP Fingerprint = C0 65 A2 BD 8A 67 B3 19  F9 8B C1 4C 8E F2 EA 0E