fruitflies - or Megaselia?

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at
Thu Aug 27 07:40:43 EST 1998

In article <4christopher.jones-2608982236090001 at>,
Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter <4christopher.jones at> wrote:
[putative Megaselia invasion]
>I thought about trying to do some salivary gland
>squashes with them, figuring it might be easier for students to use larger
>larvae, but the cultures just smelled too nasty.
	For polytene cytology teaching purposes, why not use _D. virilis_
or _D. melanogaster_ carrying the appropriate _giant_ alleles?

Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: mg16 at Ask for PGP public key)
(c) 1998; all rights reserved. Permission granted for Usenet quotation.
Fed up with unsolicited commercial e-mail? Join CAUCE at