Drosophila Science Fair Project Help

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4christopher.jones at nashville.com
Sat Dec 5 23:59:26 EST 1998

In article <000501be20b3$a3b474e0$13f5fed0 at default>,
camellia1990 at email.msn.com ("Joseph Saporito") wrote:

> I need to know how much of each radiation to expose them to so I'm not just
> wasting time and the experiment doesn't really prove anything.  For example,
> in my reasearch, I read that it takes "a lot" of x-ray radiation to cause
> the genetic mutations, but they didn't define "a lot."
> My orthodontist said he will do the x-rays for me, but I need to know how
> many times to ask him to "zap" the flies.

I don't know what standard dosages are, but remember that it will vary
with the strength and proximity of the X-ray source. I may be able to come
up with some numbers for you; please email me at

cjones at ccvax.mmc.edu

to remind me.

> Also, I tested the microwave oven using common house flies, but they died
> with as little as 10% power for only 8 seconds.  Do you know of another
> microwave source I could use?  If I just put them right outside the
> microwave door would they get enough?  For how long?

Good preliminary experiment, because I think that it points out the
problem you'll have: microwaves works essentially by exciting the water
molecules in a substance, so you're ending up with cooked flies. The only
way you're going to be able to do this part of your experiment is to
expose the flies very briefly many times , so you don't end up with an
appetizer instead of an experiment :)

> I ordered a UV lamp and plan to expose the flies for 24 hours a day for
> about a week.  I read that UV is very low level.  Do you think this will be
> enough?  Too much?

UV can be low, can be high; it depends on the strength of your source,
just like with the X-rays. You may have to try several regimes to get a
good dosage here, perhaps exposing three groups and removing one after
three days, one after five, and the third after seven.

Good luck,

To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!