Kozak consensus sequence

Laurent Seroude seroude at cco.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 25 05:31:29 EST 1998

Dr. Noreen Reist wrote:

> Do Drosophila have an equivalent of the mammalian Kozak consensus
> sequence upstream of the start methionine?  If so, what is it?  I'm
> planning a mutagenesis project (near the N-term of the protein) and want
> to maximize expression.  Thanks.

The consensus for drosophila is C/A-A-A-A/C-AUG which compares to
C-A-N-C-AUG in vertebrates, this has been studied extensively by D. Cavener
and you should check his papers, this is the ones reporting the comparison
between drosophila and vertebrates : Nucleic Acids Research,
15,4,1353-1361, 1987 and Nucleic Acids Research, 19,12,3185-3192, 1991. You
should probably check also Cavener's lab web page at
http://129.59.132.41/~DOUGLAS/home.html.Hope this will help
Laurent Seroude
Division of Biology
California Institute of Technology