[bio.dros] how many neurons?

ITO, Kei itokei at fly.erato.jst.go.jp
Thu Feb 26 02:35:46 EST 1998

>I'm looking for even a rough estimate of how many neurons are found in the
>drosophila brain.  I've searched the web and the library to no avail.  Can
>anyone help?
>
>Many thanks,
>Joe Strout

The prevailing estimation is:

about 100000 in the total CNS
        (including the supraoesophageal ganglion with the optic lobes,
           suboesophageal ganglion, and the thorax/abdominal ganglia)
about 50000 in the "central brain"
        (including the supraoesophageal ganglion *without* optic lobes,
           plus the suboesophegeal ganglion.)

Though these numbers have appeared in various papers and reviews,
No one was able to tell me the original literature to cite.

Recently we have made a very rough bean counting and got the number
30000-40000 neurons for the central brain (15000-20000 per side).
Our paper mentioning this number is now under review.

Hope this helps.

ITO Kei