S2 Cells

Veronica McCabe v.mccabe at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 08:40:33 EST 1998

Can anyone who has been working routinely with S2 cells help me.  I have
been growing some S2 cells which I bought from Invitrogen for the past 3
months.  They have been growing perfectly and I have been able to transfect
them successfully.  However about 3 weeks ago they stopped growing and have
started to look a it wierd i.e elongating rather than being uniformly
round.  I do not know why this has happened as I have not changed the
growing conditions.  I have also checked them for mycoplasma and they are
fine.  In addition some stocks which I froze down when I first expanded
them will not grow.  These were frozen  down in media plus DMSO which was
the way recommended by Invitrogen.  Normally I freeze Cos cells in a 100%
serum could this be the problem with my frozen stocks?  If anyone could
give me any ideas about what has happened to my cells as I am reluctant to
buy in another stock until I know what has happened.

Dr Veronica McCabe