mouse gene on the fly

Giacomo Consalez g.consalez at hsr.it
Wed Jul 29 03:47:57 EST 1998

Hi everybody:

I am NOT a Drosophila geneticist and you may be about to read some very
inaccurate statements, for which I apologize in advance.

We have cloned a mouse gene encoding a large protein with no substantial
homologies in the databases, and with an interesting distribution in the
postnatal and adult central nervous system. From our very unskillful
perusal of the flybase database, we understand that our gene (AF040944)
has a likely ortholog on the fly X-chromosome spanning position 2B8-B9 and
further on towards 2C. This is roughly the location of a mutation called
l(1)devl. We have a lot of information regarding the mouse gene and could
in principle start writing it up. However, we wondered if anyone could be
interested in transgenic rescue experiments using a construct containing
the mouse gene, as a first step towards a more detailed molecular and
genetic analysis of the fly mutation.

Once we determined if the mouse gene has anything to do functionally with
the drosophila 2B8-9 sequence, we would leave the fly work up to you,
since we have no facilities available or skills to move into Drosophila
research.

If you are interested in collaborating, please contact me at the following
email address: g.consalez at hsr.it (Giacomo Consalez)

Thanks for your time,

Giacomo Consalez

G. Giacomo Consalez, M.D.
II A1, Room 7
Dept. Neuroscience
DIBIT, San Raffaele Scientific Institute
Via Olgettina 58
I - 20132 Milano, Italy
voice: (+39 02) 2643 4838
fax:   (+39 02) 2643 4855