fly collar

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4drjones at usit.net
Sat Jun 13 00:14:04 EST 1998

In article
<Pine.GSO.3.96.980612174504.27546A-100000 at joxer.acsu.buffalo.edu>,
jmh9 at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU (Judith M Horowitz) wrote:

> to the drosophila discussion group...
> i was wondering if anyone knows of a company that manufactures "fly
> collars"? the collar is used for hopding the drosophila head straight
> so that a microtome works well. i found one blueprint (from the university
> of frieburg) through fly base, but im not very mechanically inclined
> (thats why im a scientist!)...
> any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> judith horowitz phd

Judith --

There are sketches/diagrams in Ashburners lab manual, and probably in some
of Marting Heisenberg's papers (or you could talk to him directly, I
suppose). They're easy to have made, which is what we did, but I don't
know of a company offhand that makes them. Each one is just a block of
Teflon with a trough cut through it, and two holes drilled on each side
for screws (with washers) to hold the razor blades in place. Just be sure
the holes will allow you to place the blade edges close enough together!

Chris Jones

--
To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!