jobs offered (in the worm!)

Iain Johnstone gbga14 at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 04:36:36 EST 1998

OK.  It may be asking for trouble for a wormy to advertise jobs in a fly
news group.  I'm not saying worms are better.  I'm not saying that being
able to freeze all your strains down as easy as if they were E.coli
makes life simple.  Nor would I say having a completely sequenced genome
is that much of an advantage.  Even a 3 day life cycle does not make
that much of a difference, nor does the ability to generate lots of
transgenic lines within a week.  The only reason I prefer worms is when
you look down the bench scope at thousands of these little guys gliding
accross the surface of an agar plate when your doing a mutant screen,
THEY DON'T HAVE BIG BUG EYES THAT STARE BACK UP AT YOU!

anyway - here goes:

TWO POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS - C. elegans development

Research field: The free living nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, control

of exoskeleton formation and organismal morphogenesis.

Lab: Wellcome Unit of Molecular Parasitology
University of Glasgow, Anderson College, 56 Dumbarton Road
Glasgow G11 6NU, Scotland.
PI:  Iain Johnstone, MRC Senior Research Fellow. See web pages:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/Acad/WUMP/wumpp.htm#C. elegans
http://www.gla.ac.uk/Acad/WUMP/wumprjoh.htm

Post 1:  MRC Postdoctoral Research Assistantship, available from 1st
October 1998, for up to 5 years.
This position would be suited to a recent PhD graduate.  Experience in
development biology/molecular genetics would be useful, but not
necessary.  Research will be focused on the analysis of
mutants identified in our lab. We are currently investigating several
new mutants defective in aspects of nematode ectodermal function,
including cuticle (exoskeleton) synthesis and tissue morphogenesis (cell

shape changes). We have recently cloned one gene that has a
particularily interesting mutant phenotype of simultaneously arresting
morphogenic events in two very different tissues, the hypodermis and the

pharynx. A molecular characterisation of this gene is underway.
Research will either focus on this newly cloned gene, or may also
include attempts to clone some of the other genes identified in our
mutant screens that are curently being mapped.
There are no restrictions on eligibility to apply for this post.

Post 2:  This Postdoctoral Research Assistantship is funded under an EEC

TMR Network to study C. elegans embryogenesis.  One position is
available immediately
in this lab for up to three years (depending on starting salary).  The
area of research is similar
to that for post 1.
Specific  conditions of eligibility apply to TMR funded posts:
(i) Applicant must be EEC citizen or citizen from Israel or
Liechtenstein,
(ii) but must not be citizen of the hiring country (i.e. not British),
(iii) must have spent less than 18 months in the past 24 months in the
hiring country.

Details of other labs participating in this TMR network can be obtained
from:
http://www1-igbmc.u-strasbg.fr/~TMR_Network

Details of TMR conditions of eligibility can be found:
http://www.cordis.lu/tmr/src/network1.htm

From:  Iain Johnstone, Wellcome Unit of Molecular Parasitology
University of Glasgow, Anderson College, 56 Dumbarton Road
Glasgow G11 6NU, Scotland.   Tel: 44 141 330 3745
Fax: 44 141 330 5422   email: i.johnstone at udcf.gla.ac.uk
http://www.gla.ac.uk/Acad/WUMP/wumprjoh.htm