abdA phenotype

kovalige at muohio.edu kovalige at muohio.edu
Tue Mar 3 10:06:39 EST 1998

I'm looking at the expression of a gene within the midgut epithelium
and its potential regulation by homeotic genes.  I did an in situ
using late stage embryos derived from abdA[M1]/TM1, Me parents.  I've
gotten some odd results that I'm not sure how to interpret.  One of my
problems is that I'm not certain how to identify abdA[M1] homozygous
embryos.  I know that abdA mutants lack the second and third midgut
constrictions, and I can identify mutants at that particular stage.
What do older or younger mutants look like?  Are there any unambiguous
features that can be used to identify abdA mutants from wild-type
embryos in whole mount in situs?  Are mutant embryos very similar to
wild-type or are they wildly abnormal?  Do TM1 homozygotes have a
distinctive mutant phenotype, or do they resemble wild-type embryos?
I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Gae Kovalick
Department of Zoology
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056