special issue

Alain Ghysen aghysen at crit.univ-montp2.fr
Mon Mar 23 14:34:19 EST 1998

Dear colleagues:

I have been editing a special issue of the Int. J. Dev. Biol. devoted to
"The developmental genetics of Drosophila" and dedicated to Antonio
Garcia-Bellido, and expected to come out in April. The issue opens with a
poem of Pam Lewis and follows with a unique blend of scholarly reviews,
challenging essays and historical sketches. I append the table of contents
to give you an idea of what it will look like. I believe this issue may be
of interest to some of you who do not have an easy access to the Journal,
and wish to inform you that it can be bought separately; for inquiries,
please contact Ms Olga Santamaria, Editorial office (at gcparmaj at lg.ehu.es,
or fax number +34.4.464.89.66) or consult the IJDB web site
http://www.lg.ehu.es/ijdb

Yours,

Alain Ghysen

Table of contents.

Volcano in the lab
       Pam Lewis

Changing paradigms - a dialogue with Antonio García-Bellido
       Enrique Cerda-Olmedo

1. Clonal analysis and the genetics of somatic cells
Developmental cell lineage
       Gunther Stent
Creating mosaics in Drosophila
       Norbert Perrimon
Genetic requirements of epidermal and female germ line cells
       Janos Szabad
Probing patterns of gene expression in Drosophila epithelial cells
       Trudi Schüpbach and Eric Wieschaus
Cell number control and timing in animal development: the oligodendrocyte cell
lineage
       Martin Raff, Beatrice Durand, and Fen-Biao Gao

2. The genetics of cell determination
The genetics of the Drosophila achaete-scute gene complex: an historical
appraisal
       Jose Campos-Ortega
The achaete-scute complex as an integrating device
       Juan Modolell and Sonsoles Campuzano
The bHLH genes in neural development
       Christine Dambly-Chaudière and Michel Vervoort
Muscle patterning and specification in Drosophila.
       Mar Ruiz-Gomez
Molecular recapitulation: the growth of the vertebrate retina
       Bill Harris

3. From gene to pattern