Protocol for injecting larvae

Olga Issaenko oisayenk at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 9 10:54:16 EST 1998

From: Olga Issaenko <oisayenk at midway.uchicago.edu>

I am trying to inject early 3rd-instar larvae with a drug (mitotic
poisons) as part of a larger study of phenocopy induction.  To do so I
am using a fixed micropipette pulled to a small tip, with anesthetized
larvae affixed to a movable stage.  The larvae are attached to the slide
with double-sided sticky tape as recommended in Ashburner.  My problem
is that the larvae do not stick to the tape very well.  Instead of
penetrating the larvae, the micropipette tip just pushes the larvae off
the tape.  Does anybody have a better means of stabilizing whole larvae
for injection, or a protocol alternative to the one I'm using.

Thanks in advance for your help.