Shaking Experiment

Mon Nov 1 01:36:00 EST 1999

>Hi all,
>My name is Ajay Pillarisetti, i'm a freshman at Emory College in Atlanta, Ga.
>A group of my fellow students in our research bio class are working on a
>project to see what the effects of environmental shaking, simulated by a large
>water bath shaker (minus the water), are on drosophila.  I was wondering if
>anyone had any insight on the biological method by which the flies maintained
>balance.  Additionally, any knowledge about similar studies and/or the effects
>of shaking on the flies would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your
>time and
>help,
>
>Ajay Pillarisetti
>shdowflame at aol.com
>apillar at learnlink.emory.edu

You will find a similar experiment reported in:

Fizz-Loony, F. & K. Linderstrøm-Lang (1962). The thermodynamic activity of
the male housefly (Muscus domesticus L-L.). In:  Linderstrøm-Lang, K.,
Selected Papers, Copenhagen: Danish Science Press, p. 573-584.
Best:), -Dick Gordon

Dr. Richard Gordon, Radiology, U. Manitoba, HSC, 820 Sherbrook Street,
Winnipeg R3A 1R9 Canada, Phone: (204) 789-3828, fax: (204) 787-2080/ Book
just out: The Hierarchical Genome & Differentiation Waves: Novel
Unification of Development, Genetics & Evolution:
http://www.wspc.com.sg/books/lifesci/2755.html, E-mail:
GordonR at cc.UManitoba.ca