Drosophila sequence data

Michael Ashburner, Genetics ma11 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 03:55:57 EST 1999

Dear colleague,

As you will know Celera Genomics have finished their shot gun sequencing
of the D. melanogaster genome, and the BDGP has begun the task of
gap filling.  Over 45 megabases of this sequence are already available from
the GenBank/EMBL/DDBJ database.  All of the Celera sequence will be available,
without annotation, by December 31 1999.  The new sequence covering any gaps will
be released to GenBank by the BDGP immediately it is available. The annotated
sequence will be released to the sequence database on publication, which is
expected in the first quarter of 2000.

One aspect of the annotation is matching this sequence against Drosophila
genes whose sequences are already known.  As we write FlyBase has a file
of 2540 complete or partial gene sequences. These are freely available as:

ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/edgp/sequence_sets/nuclear_cds_set.embl.v2.8.5.Z

and

http://www.fruitfly.org/na_embl.dros

We are aware that many laboratories have sequences of genes that have not
yet been submitted to the nucleotide sequence databases.  We write to
encourage you to submit these sequences.  This will have three advantages:
You will get the credit for having identified and sequenced this gene
first !  We will be able to include the identification of these genes
on the annotated sequence when it is published.  If your sequence is of
a cDNA then it will help us get the correct gene structure.

Let either (or both) of us know if you have any questions.  We will then
endeavor to answer them.

Michael Ashburner, Cambridge.
Gerald M. Rubin, Berkeley.