Wanted: Graduate Students to Study Cell Death/Cell Survival

Brian Staveley bestave at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Sep 9 13:51:48 EST 1999

Dear Researchers,

	I am in the process of opening up a new lab and I  would like to
recruit one or two graduate students to investigate the cell survival
mechanisms that function to oppose apoptosis.  I have a keen interest in
oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes that maintain the balance between
cell death and cell survival.  This work will utilize the Drosophila
model organism which is ideal for manipulating programmed cell death and
related processes.  The long term goals of this project are 1) to develop
an understanding of cell survival and the signaling mechanisms that
prevent apoptosis and 2) to identify and characterize the biological
consequences of novel components of the insulin receptor-PI3 kinase-akt
pathway. Motivated and hard working candidates with backgrounds in
genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry and developmental
biology are encouraged to apply. Interested individuals should contact me
at bestave at morgan.ucs.mun.ca or write to

Brian E. Staveley, Ph.D.
Department of Biology
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland   A1B 3X7
Canada
709-737-4317

Recent Publications:
Staveley, B.E, L. Ruel, J. Jin, V. Stambolic, F.G. Mastronardi, P.
Heitzler, J.R. Woodgett, and A.S. Manoukian, 1998. Genetic analysis of the
PKB/akt cell survival pathway in Drosophilia. Current Biology 8: 599-602.

Binari, R.C., B.E. Staveley, W.A. Johnson, R. Godavarti, R. Sasisekharan,
and A.S. Manoukian, 1997. Genetic evidence that heparin-like
glycosaminoglycans are involved in wingless signalling. Development 124:
2623-2632.

For more details see http://www.mun.ca/biology/faculty