Postdoctoral position available/initiation of nuclear divisions in fertilized eggs

Mariana Wolfner mfw5 at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 6 14:34:44 EST 2000

An NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available immediately to study
how sperm and egg-derived pronuclei are activated to begin cell
cycles in fertilized Drosophila eggs. We combine molecular, cell
biological and genetic approaches to examine the control of
pronuclear chromatin state and associations that permit the
transition from meiosis to mitosis. Most of our studies center on a
nuclear protein, YA (Young Arrest), which is essential for this
process. We also address how YA and other proteins are regulated to
ensure that the nuclear changes occur only at this critical
developmental time (see Devel. Biol. 184, 187-196, J. Cell Sci. 110,
643-651; Devel. Biol. 210, 124-34.).
Highly-motivated Ph.D.s with cell/molecular biology experience are
welcomed; experience with Drosophila, while not essential, is a plus.
If you are interested in joining our active lab in an interactive
department, please send your CV and names/addresses of three
references to:

Dr. Mariana Wolfner
Dept. of Molecular Biology and Genetics
423 Biotechnology Building