Melongaster Mutation

Ben Strub bstrub at uoguelph.ca
Mon Feb 7 02:12:29 EST 2000

Several options are available for Drosophila mutagenesis.

A common one is EMS (ethyl methanesulfonate) mutagenesis, in which male flies
are fed on this chemical, and then mated.  The procedure is relatively safe.
See Lewis and Bacher, DIS 43:193 (1968).

Also, you could try P-element insertional mutagenesis.  This is less random, as
some sites cannot accommodate insertion of a P-element.  However, any mutations
that are produced can be analyzed by molecular techniques, and this can be
quite beneficial.  See Cooley et al., Science 239:1121 (1988).

Ben Strub
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada