postdoc in evolutionary genetics

ciwu at uchicago.edu ciwu at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:08:36 EST 2000

Postdoctoral positions in molecular evolutionary genetics at the University
of Chicago -  Two positions are open; at least one of them is expected to
be filled by someone with experience in Drosophila.   A main interest in my
laboratory has been in the molecular genetics of speciation and species
differentiation (Ting et al. 1998).  Since it has also become clear that
genome-level analyses will complement the gene-by-gene approach, we have
secured funding to utilize (and further develop) the technique of
site-specific gene insertion (see Golic et al. 1997  FLP-mediated DNA
mobilization to specific target sites in Drosophila chromosomes.  Nuc.
Acids Res. 25: 3665.)  The aim is to insert homologous genes from different
species into fixed sites and measure functional differences and fitness
consequences of these "alleles".  I expect to fill one position before the
end of Summer and the other, the end of the year.

Representative publications are:
Palopoli, M. F. et al. 1996  Genetics 144:1321-1328.
Hollocher, H., et al., 1997   Genetics 147: 1191-1201.
Ting, C.-T. et al. 1998  Science 282: 1501-1504.
Wyckoff, G. J. et al.  2000 Nature 403: 304 - 309.

For details, please consult http://pondside.uchicago.edu/darwin/

Chung-I Wu   ciwu at uchicago.edu
Professor and Chairman
Department of Ecology and Evolution