fluorescent tags

Mitch Dushay dushay at umbi.umd.edu
Mon Jan 17 13:28:29 EST 2000

on 17 January, >Carlos Ribeiro, Biozentrum of the University of Basel
 <carlos.ribeiro at unibas.ch> wrote:
>Has anyone created Drosophila transformation vectors which carry GFP as
>a reporter to use for analyzing enhancer fragments? Has anyone maybe
>even vectors containing different flavours of GFP or other fluorescent
>proteins?

We have transformed Drosophila with Hermes elements tagged with EGFP
and EYFP (yellow) driven by the Actin 5C promoter.  While it can be
tricky distinguishing faint EGFP fluorescence from background fluorescence
in the abdomen of adults (from the yeast in the food), larvae and pupae
are bright and easy.  EYFP can be distinguished from EGFP.
  We have not generated minimal promoter driven constructs, but that
should be fairly easy.  Transformation with Hermes goes much better than
P (I've gotten as high as 100% efficiency), but Hermes does interact
with hobo.  I'll present this in March in Pittsburgh, but I'll be happy
to share data if it'll help you - send me a personal email.
Cheers!

Mitch Dushay          dushay at umbi.umd.edu      (301)405-7681 or 405-8248
UMBI, Center for Agricultural Biotechnology       FAX: (301) 314-9075
5115 Building 036
College Park, MD  20742-4450

---