Developmental Northern

martin martinNOmaSPAM at
Tue Jan 25 12:42:55 EST 2000

Hi everybody,

even though my DIG-Northerns work pretty well, I have a problem with my
is a constitutively expressed gene and has been used as a loading
for developmental northerns in other papers. I check my RNAs (total) in
photometer and am pretty accurate in respect to quantity while loading
sample on the gel.  The problem is, that rp49 always gives me totally
different signal strengths after hybridization for the different
developmental stages. Embryo and L1 is strong and the rest pretty weak.
Unfortunately, especially those are weak that also do not show
The RNAs do not seem to be degraded, since I see partially weak, but
distinct rp49 signals for all stages and no smear.

What should I do? Is the photometer the reason? I do not look at the
since EtBr seems to make a pretty big background. Is Rp49 the reason.
What other method could I use to quantitate the RNA?

Thank you in advance!!

* Sent from RemarQ The Internet's Discussion Network *