Tetracycline dosage needed

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4cjjones at delanet.com
Thu Jan 27 21:00:15 EST 2000

In article <sglueck-ya023080002701000859310001 at 129.79.6.162>,
sglueck at bio.indiana.edu (Susan Glueck) wrote:

> What is the proper concentration and dosage of tetracycline to add to fly
> food in order to cure a bacterial infection? I cannot find the dosage in
> the literature. I would like either to add the antibiotic to the food or
> paint it onto the surface of prepared bottles. This is for bacteria that
> appear penn-strep resistant already.

Based on my past experience, I'd try whatever concentration is used for
molbio applications like plasmid selection. If you opt to add the stuff to
food, make sure it's as cool as possible lest you destroy the Tet. FWIW,
we always added antibiotics (though Tet wasn't one which worked for us) to
the solidifed food and let it soak in for 1-2 days, depending on humidity.

Chris Jones

--
To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!