An important question about EP lines

janavarr at gong.ci.uv.es janavarr at gong.ci.uv.es
Mon Jan 31 12:35:59 EST 2000

I am an student doing his PhD, in my lab we have isolated a new
gene of Drosophia,and now we want to obtain a mutant.
The first way we are trying is insertional mutagenesis using an
artificial P element.
There are two EP lines near(8Kb) our gene. So I would very pleased
if anyone could tell me about the standard structure of this EP elements.
I have found the structure of similar elements like P1ArB and
P1AwB but nothing about the ones which interest me.
I have read two papers about misexpression in Drosophila using
this EP, but i haven't found any data about their structure.
Do you think that this elements are usefull for insertional
mutagenesis? And Can I use a scheme of crosses like another authors use with
P1ArB.?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Juan Antonio Navarro