Accession number rationale?

Michael Jarman m.g.jarman at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 07:38:22 EST 2000

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can look up the rationale behind
the numbering, or more specifically the lettering, of the cDNA
transcript numbers in NCBI.

I understand the AE and AC codes but the sequence accession numbers
often have codes starting with U, C, L or X amongst others. Do these
represent different sub-sets? In particular, I would be interested in
finding some way of downloading only those sequences that have ESTs,
only those that have ESTs in the UniGene set and only those that do not
have ESTs associated with them. It would be particularly useful to me if
anyone knew how to download this in excel format.

Thanks

Mike Jarman

Dr. M.G.Jarman
School of Biological Sciences