Positions available to study Drosophila growth and size control in London

Kevin Cook kcook at bio.indiana.edu
Fri Jun 30 09:27:01 EST 2000

Positions available to study Drosophila growth and size control in London

Are you interested in how growth and cell size are regulated during
development, and how final organ size is determined? These are major
research interests in our lab. We are studying how growth and size are
regulated during Drosophila imaginal disc development.  Previous work from
this and other laboratories has shown that the insulin/PI3-kinase pathway
regulates growth, cell size and organ size during imaginal disc
development. We have recently performed a genetic interaction screen to
identify other molecules that regulate imaginal disc growth and recovered
at least ten complementation groups.

Funding is now available for one post-doctoral research fellow characterise
some of the complementation groups identified. The work will involve using
genetic and molecular techniques to identify the mutant genes; and
phenotypic analysis, genetic interaction studies and biochemistry to
elucidate how the genes interact with PI 3-kinase to regulate imaginal disc
growth. We anticipate that characterisation of these genes will provide
valuable insights into the relationships between growth and division, and
growth and development.

For more details see http://www.biochem.ucl.ac.uk/~pfuhl/html/coopjobs.html
Ideally, RF1A (post-doctoral) applicants should have up to 3 years
post-doctoral experience, a keen interest in growth, size control and
signal transduction, and experience in Drosophila genetics. RA1B (research
assistant) applicants should have a Biological Sciences degree, preferably
with some knowledge of genetics.

Starting salary for the RF1A post is up to £20, 811 plus £2, 134 London
Allowance and for the RA1B post is £16, 286 plus £2,134 London Allowance.
Informal enquiries welcome (sallyl at ludwig.ucl.ac.uk). To apply, send a CV
and covering letter with details of 2 referees to Dr Sally Leevers, Ludwig
Institute for Cancer Research, 91 Riding House Street, London W1P 8BT, UK.

---