Patterns of emergency

wsimms at wsimms at
Sat Mar 11 22:31:02 EST 2000

In article <006a01bf8213$cb11e3c0$0c00000a at jason>, jason at ("Jason Muir") wrote:
> ------=_NextPart_000_0067_01BF8213.CA7332C0
> Hi all,
> I'm currently working on drosophila melanogaster and have noticed that =
> offspring often seem to hatch from pupae in batches of sex, eye colour, =
> wing type, etc., and also that they seem to favour particular times of =
> day.  Is this a well documented phenomenon?  Can anyone suggest where I =
> might find further reading material on the subject.
> Many thanks.
> Jason Muir.

It is well known (but documented???) fact that males and females
eclose at different times.  The females mostly eclose around 2-3pm.
As for flies eclosing in batches of phenotypes, I'll refer you to this

> In article <QNrv4.1268$SV6.27865 at>, "Jason
> Muir" <jason.muir at> wrote:
>>I've noted that Drosophila seem to emerge from pupae in batches of
>>phenotypes.  Can anyone suggest whether this might be because the eggs
>>laid down in that order, or whether particular fly types hatch from
>>eggs more quickly?
> Mutants may develop at different rates from wild-type, thus
> affecting the time of eclosion.  I do not think there's any
> mechanism for differential laying time.

Just as a formal possibility....

Some chromosomes have been around for a long time and there could
be possible selection for "fast eclosure" by decades of taking the first
flies for the crosses.  I have no evidence to support this statement.

The response above is the most reasonable.

Hope this helps,

Barrett Simms
wsimms at