Question on culturing drosophila

Louise Ng Louiseng at hkbu.edu.hk
Thu Nov 9 09:40:14 EST 2000

I've ordered different types of drosophila for our genetics experiment.

After transfer some of the flies into a new medium bottle and keep it in
the incubator.
However, most of the flies were died after a week of subculturing? When
I checked the temp. of the incubator, it was inccorrectly set to over
30°C.  The vestigial flies hatched all with wings. And most of the stock
were badly contaminated, esp. for the wild type flies.

I don't whether its the problem of the temperature or there is any other
reason.  I'm now trying to rescue the remaining flies.
Will the temperature be seriously affect the flies mortality?

Secondly, can anyone tell me that where can I purchase the Drosophila
stock culture (besides from carolina) for academic purposes. Is it
possible to export the flies to HK?

Louise