larvae turning black?

Dr. Hampton Carson hampton at mail.hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 14 09:18:45 EST 2000

Dear Martin:

In the work of myself, Stalker and Templeton on thelytokous parthenogenesis
in Drosophila mercatorum and other species, we frequently assessed the
hatchability of eggs of virgin diploid females and were able to recognize
the following categories: 1) eggs that do not develop at all, 2) eggs with
a brownish color that on dissection reveal a dead larva inside and 3)
brownish larvae that appear to have died after hatching and  4) viable
larvae.

In this case, categories 2 and 3 were interpreted as having a genetic
cause, A nice paper on the subject is that of one of Stalker's students, L.
S. Sprackling 1960, The chromosome complement of the developing eggs
produced by Drosophila parthenogenetica Stalker virgin females.  Genetics
45:243-256.

With raegards,

Hamp Carson