David De Lorenzo delorenzo at
Mon Apr 16 09:29:15 EST 2001

I am looking for good balancers to create isogenic lines in
Drosophila melanogaster. I have been looking at the bibliography, but
the problem is, there are hundreds of balancers, each one of them
good enough for studying a specific region in a chromosome, because
they reduce effectively the recombination in that region. But I would
like to know which ones are the most effective general suppressors of

It looks like the most efficient balancers are FM3 for the X
chromosome, SM5 and CyO for the 2nd chromosome, and TM6B for the 3rd

My questions are: are these really the best balancers? if yes, what
would be the best markers that should go with each of this balancers?
Any suggestions?

Please email the answers to delorenzo at

Many thanks,

Dr. David De Lorenzo              Office: (+49 89) 5902 330
Institute of Zoology-LMU          Lab:    (+49 89) 5902 326
LuisenStr. 14                     Fax:    (+49 89) 5902 474
80333 Munich - Germany            delorenzo at