POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS AVAILABLE

Kathleen Beckingham kate at rice.edu
Wed Apr 18 17:14:10 EST 2001

NOTE - MY PRIOR SUBMISSION (4/12/01) OF THIS AD HAD ERRORS.
COULD THE VERSION BELOW BE USED TO REPLACE MY FORMER AD?
THANK YOU, KATE B

TWO POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS are available immediately in
Kate Beckingham's lab.at Rice University.

One position is for studies of gravity sensing in Drosophila. Gravity is

an all-pervasive force and yet we know very little of the mechanisms
used to sense and respond to gravity. We have conducted a large
screen to identify mutants defective in gravity sensing. We have
isolated about 60 mutants and have cloned the affected genes in
25 of these mutants. In addition to genes with roles in neuronal
signaling and modeling many novel genes are included in this set.
There are many possible projects to pursue from our work on this
unexplored aspect of Drosophila behavior.

A second position is for studies of calcium signaling in Drosophila.
Calcium is a critical ubiquitous messenger in multicellular organisms
and Drosophila offers unique possibilities for genetic dissection of
the roles of calcium in the development and physiology of a complex
animal. We are investigating the roles of both the ubiquitous calcium
sensor
calmodulin and a testis-specific calcium binding protein Androcam.

Rice University has a beautiful campus and is immediately adjacent to
the Texas Medical Center. There are more than a dozen Drosophila labs
in the four academic insitutions (Rice, Baylor, MD Anderson and UT
Medical School) around the MedCenter and therefore a lively community
of Drosophila resources is available.

Please contact Kate Beckingham (kate at bioc.rice.edu or phone
#713-348-4016) for further information

---