Announcing FlyNome

FN Webmaster webmaster at flynome.com
Thu Dec 13 17:02:51 EST 2001

Fellow Drosophila researcher,
Have you ever found yourself wondering, "What exactly does that gene name
mean?" or "I wonder what the story behind that gene's name is?" Now, your
questions can be answered! Announcing FlyNome <http://www.flynome.com/>, an
online database of Drosophila nomenclature.

FlyNome was started by a Drosophila researcher who became frustrated when a
single source for the stories behind gene names could not be found. While
one can pick up some of the history behind the names from fellow
researchers, by induction from a mutant phenotype, or even from a published
paper, many names remain a mystery when it comes to their origin. Out of
this frustration sprang FlyNome.

This site is intended to be a resource for the Drosophila community by
serving as a reliable tool to which fly researchers can refer and
contribute. We're sure there is at least one gene whose story you know that
isn't in our database yet. Or maybe you can add some embellishment to a
story that's already here. This resource is dependent upon you, so make
some entries now!

If the story for a gene in which you're interested isn't in our database,
you can ask someone to add it. Go to the request page where you can send an
email request to an author of a paper referencing the gene. Once that
person has entered the information in the FlyNome database, you'll be able
to find the answer to why the gene is named as it is!
--
Flynome Webmaster
webmaster at flynome.com

Flynome - A database of Drosophila nomenclature
http://www.flynome.com/

---